~ madhubani painting: some printed resources ~
- Anand, Mulk Raj, Madhubani Painting (New Delhi: Publications
Division, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Government of India,
- Archer, Mildred, Indian Popular Painting in the India Office
Library (London: Her Majesty's Stationery Office, 1977).
- Archer, William G., Songs for the Bride: Wedding Rites of Rural
India, ed. by Barbara Stoler Miller and Mildred Archer (New York:
Columbia University Press, 1985).
- Brown, Carolyn Henning, "Contested Meanings: Tantra and the Poetics of
Mithila Art," American Ethnologist 23, 4 (November 1996),
[All of the listed titles can be read more profitably in relation to the proposals put
forward by Professor Brown.]
- Brown, Carolyn Henning, "The Women Painters of Mithila," in
Festival of India in the United States 1985-1986 (New York: Harry N.
Abrams, Inc., 1985), 155-61.
- Craven, Roy C., A Concise History of Indian Art (London: Thames
and Hudson; New York: Praeger, 1976).
- Craven, Roy C., Indian Art: A Concise History, revised edition
(London: Thames and Hudson, 1997).
- Jayakar, Pupul, The Earth Mother: Legends, Ritual Arts, and
Goddesses of India (San Francisco: Harper & Row, Publishers,
- Jain, Jyotindra, Ganga Devi: Tradition and Expression in Mithila
Painting (Ahmedabad, India: Mapin Publishing Pvt Ltd., in association
with The Mithila Museum, Niigata, Japan, 1997).
[A fine book on a leading artist who practiced what is sometimes called the
Kayastha style of Madhubani painting.]
- Mode, Heinz and Subodh Chandra, Indian Folk Art (New York:
Alpine Fine Arts Collection, Ltd., 1985).
[Useful for background and comparative study.]
- Thakur, Upendra, Madhubani Painting (New Delhi: Abhinav
- Vequaud, Yves, The Women Painters of Mithila (London: Thames
and Hudson, 1977).
[This is a book that contributed to and then reflected the worldwide popularity of
Return to the Welcome Page of the